The Liebster Award is going around and I was graciously given it courtesy of John over at LAMMY Winning blog The Droid You’re Looking For, the wonderful trio of Three Guys One Movie and Ruth over at FlixChatter. Getting the Liebster is a pretty big deal to me considering it originated over at the phenomenal The Most Beautiful Fraud in the World, a blog written by film historian and critic Kevyn Knox so it’s kind of a big deal. I’m done gushing and name dropping so let’s get into the specifics of the award. Here are the rules:
1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2. Answer the 11 questions the person giving the award has set for you.
3. Create 11 questions for the people you will be giving the award to.
4. Choose 11 people to award and send them a link to your post.
5. Go to their page and tell them.
6. No tag backs.
It’s always hard for me to find interesting factoids about myself but here are 11 things about me:
1. I was on the news once for being the first wheelchair cheerleader in my town (it didn’t lead to fame and fortune).
2. I can quote the first five minutes of Romeo and Juliet verbatim
4. Gingers frighten me. Whatever you say I believe they have no souls, sorry.
5. With that being said my favorite Muppet is Beaker.
6. I’ve been accused of being a book hoarder and I maintain I’ll get through the countless books I have…next summer.
7. I can quote long stretches of random Rugrat episodes
9. I went to see Shame this year with my mother. Suffice it to say it was one of the most uncomfortable filmgoing experiences of my life (beating out us going to see Closer in theaters).
10. My favorite ride at Disneyland is The Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan’s Flight.
11. I hated Avatar before it was cool.
Next is the answer to the 11 questions given out by John himself.
1. Eating in a theater- nefarious behavior or perfectly acceptable?
I think it’s perfectly acceptable if you brought it whilst waiting in line for the film and/or it’s not smelly.
2. If a train leaves Chicago at 10 pm and travels at an average of 70 miles per hour, and travels 280 miles away, while another train leaves Philadelphia heading for the same destination 300 miles away traveling at 75 miles per hour, what is your favorite movie?
Upon reading this question I was going to reply “I’m an English major purely so I don’t have to answer math questions,” but I’ll just say Splendor in the Grass or Singin’ in the Rain.
3. What do you do for a living?
By day I’m a graduate student getting her Master’s in English and thus don’t need to work (thanks Mom) but by night I write movie reviews and am the film editor of various websites and work on this blog. Of course if I could get paid for this blog…I’d be doing this day and night.
4. What is your credit card number, expiration date, and social security number? Ok, just kidding. How many movies do you own? A ballpark figure is fine.
I probably would have told you my card’s expiration date. In terms of movies I own, in various places of my house, it tops at around 200.
5. Do you own any pets? Bonus points given if it’s a dog.
I have two dogs (yay bonus) and a delightful guinea pig.
6. Describe the way the Hawley-Smoot Tariff has impacted your daily life.
It made Ferris Bueller’s Day Off that much better?
7. Is there such a thing as a movie that’s “so bad it’s good”?
Hell yes there is, I did a whole guilty pleasure post devoted to these films.
8. Other than your native country, which country makes the best (or at least, your favorite) films?
Britain or France (their horror films are messed up).
9. Who is your favorite artist? Painter, photographer, etc…
I’d be inclined to say Van Gogh.
10. Which film critics do you read?
11. What is the meaning of life?
Cheese. Lots of cheese.
Now for the questions given to me by 3 Guys 1 Movie:
1. What was the first blog post that you wrote?
My very first post was a standard “What the blog’s about” post that I’m pretty sure I’ve revised numerous times throughout the length of this blog.
2. Red Sox or Yankees?
I’m on the West Coast so I have to go with Giants. Sorry.
3. The toilet paper roll should it roll down from the top or from underneath?
I prefer underneath.
4. The last thing I stole was a….
Too many to count.
5. What was the worst injury you ever suffered?
As a person with brittle bone disease every injury is the worst so it’s pretty much “every injury.”
6. If you did not blog about film what would you be blogging about?
7. What kind of car do you drive? ( yes I stole that from Swingers)
Sadly I don’t have my license yet but once I do I have a beautiful 1965 Austin Healy in my garage I need to get up and running. Yes, be jealous.
8. Have you ever eaten a pickled egg?
9. What’s in your pull order? (If you don’t understand this question the answer is nothing)
10. Have you ever fired a gun?
11. Do you own an iPhone or two tin cans and a string?
Two tin cans and a string courtesy of T-Mobile.
And the questions from Ruth:
1. Who’s your favorite movie actor who’s currently starring in a TV show?
Oh that’s a trick as I don’t necessarily watch a lot of television anymore. I’d guess I’d say Allison Pill on The Newsroom but I’d probably think of someone else later on.
2. Could you date someone who does not love movies?
That’s like asking if I could date a Republican…..hell no.
3. What makes you want to have a movie blog?
The fact that I get a lot more recognition for it than anything else.
4. Which director/actor collaboration you’d like to see [it has to be people who have never worked together before]
Well it doesn’t say anything about living or dead so I’m going with Alfred Hitchcock and Michael Fassbender because that would be freaking awesome!
5. What dish are you good at making?
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
6. Any encounter with a celebrity you care to share?
I met Mandy Moore when I was about 13. It was during her musical career so she wasn’t in movies but I got her autograph and she was incredibly sweet.
7. Since the Olympics is still going on, what’s your favorite movie set in London?
An American Werewolf in London
8. Which is your favorite movie writer [could be a journalist, novelist, etc.]
Max Allan Collins, Anita Loos
9. Which do you prefer: sweltering heat vs. cool, rainy days?
Cool, rainy days
10. Favorite outfit/costume from a movie?
Marilyn Monroe’s “Diamonds Are A Girl’s Best Friend” outfit in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Myrna Loy’s party dress in “The Thin Man.”
11. Which actor/actress you initially detest but then slowly warming up to [feel free to reverse the question, that is an actor you initially love but now can't stand]
I used to hate Kirsten Dunst but considering I’ve seen ALL her movies…can’t say that.
Finally, my questions for the lucky recipients below:
1. Who is your favorite Muppet (if you don’t have one you have no soul)
2. What are the next five items on your Netflix/Hulu/Amazon queue
3. Favorite classic actor (up till 1990 counts)
4. Favorite ride at a Disney theme park (if you haven’t been to a Disney park, see question one)
5. Have you ever watched an episode of Gossip Girl or Glee?
6. Name one embarrassing movie in your collection.
7. Star Trek or Star Wars?
8. DVD or Blu-Ray?
9. Coke or Pepsi?
10. What’s a movie name you’d love to use as an alias?
11. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? (That hurt to type)
Here are the eleven recipients I’m passing this award on to: