I watched less than half of what I watched in January, but seeing as how February only has 28 days (and I watched 22 movies) I watched almost a movie a day! Let’s look at what I went through this month.
1. 101 Dalmatians*
5. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?*
6. Dracula (1931)*
14. The Glass Key
18. Cat People*
20. The Jungle Book*
21. Pony Soldier
22 films watched in February (down 18 from January)
9 were rewatches
13 were first-time viewings
2 were theatrical releases (Mama and Beautiful Creatures)
Top 5 Favorite Classic Films of the Month:
1. Cat People – Reaffirms my growing interest in Tom Conway.
2. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde – So far my favorite horror movie I’ve watched in this semester of American Horror.
3. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane – A classic!
4. Holiday – A strong ensemble, and a skillful blend of comedy and drama.
5. The Glass Key – Not my favorite Lake film, but superior to I Wanted Wings.
Favorite Theatrical Film of the Month: I hate to admit it, but Beautiful Creatures was a damn fine teenage paranormal romance. I abhor all things Twilight, and the cast of actors (who actually act) is amazing. It’s far from perfect, but considering what’s marketed to teenagers today, I recommend seeing it.
Worst Film of the Month: Outright worst would be The Slumber Party Massacre
Biggest Disappointment of the Month: Disappointment would be Mama for failing to utilize a cast that includes an Oscar nominee. I’d also throw in The Seventh Victim since I adore Val Lewton, and this was by far the weakest I’ve seen.
Biggest Surprise of the Month: The aforementioned Beautiful Creatures and 101 Dalmatians.
Movies Worth Seeking Out: Beautiful Creatures, Cast a Dark Shadow, The Life and Death of Peter Sellers
A freelance film critic whose work fuels the Rotten Tomatoes meter. I've been published on The Hollywood Reporter, Remezcla, and The Daily Beast. I've been featured in the L.A. Times. I currently run two podcasts, Citizen Dame and Ticklish Business.